For the third week in a row, come Friday afternoon, I tracked out to the NC State Farmer’s Market in Raleigh. For the last two weeks, my buddy OneZenDragonfly joined me on a fresh food findin’ adventure!
This week, what did we find?
– OKRA! K-dawg and I LOVE some steamed okra with a little sea salt. Mucho yummy.
– Squash! A little salt, cayenne and black pepper mixed with some corn meal – fried in a little bit of oil. *drool*
– Tomato. One little tomato to be ate tomorrow for lunch with a little tuna salad.
– Green Peppers ~ intent is to make stuffed peppers after church, we’ll see.
– Red Onion ~ just ’cause.
– Homemade soap and lotion (because I’m so worth it!). This deserves it’s own post sometime in the future.
– Eggplant. Now here’s where things get *interesting*…
One of K-dawg’s favorite meals is eggplant Parmesan. What, you didn’t know this nugget either? I didn’t learn this until a couple of weeks ago in a random moment. Seven years I’ve known the boy and I’m still learning mess. Sounds easy peasy to fix, right? Google up a recipe and take it from there. Not so fast when you’re gluten free. Breadcrumbs are a no-no, and I decided early along the gluten free path to only use substitute bread products for (a) special occasions; (b) when found on good sale; or (c) when I want to consume tons of extra empty calories.
Insert Rice Chex here. Mashed them bad boys down and used to *coat* my eggplant. Used the recipe found here more or less, and served with a little salad and small serving of rice spaghetti with a little butter and Italian Mrs. Dash mixed in after it was done.
And, it was a hit, requested to be added to the frequent menu list. SCORE. It was easy. And good. Yes, you may nominate me for wife of Friday, August 13th around 7:00 pm the year!
Next time though, I’m going to save the egg and Chex calories and just roast the eggplant and layer. It didn’t add that much texture or flavor. It was a gluten free modified recipe WIN (unlike hot dog casserole, but let’s not go there).
Happy Friday night, y’all!